Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Just to clear the air....

**This post contains spoilers***


I've had several of you tell me how angry you were with Drake/Chloe/Logan/Jordan and some of the choices they made.

ME TOO.

I know this will shock several of you, but I do not agree with SEVERAL of the choices that they made in Torn and Twisted. My wrists are killing me tonight (Oh, what I do for tattoos), so please don't shoot me for focusing on Chloe and Drake only in this post.

Let me start with Chloe, since 99% of her mistakes were in Torn. If you connect to books like I do, then you feel every emotion that the character feels. When I write, that character comes from me and I feel their pain ten times worse than if I am reading. Every emotion I write, I feel. Which is exactly why I use music so much when I'm working.

Oh Chloe. What am I going to do with you? Jumping back and forth between Logan and Drake constantly; so much that you gave me whiplash.  What she did was wrong and I will be the first to admit this. But let me ask you this - at 18/19 how mature were you? I'm twenty-two and I will shamelessly admit that I can be the biggest immature asshat still. I'm young, and I've still got A LOT of growing up to do, just like Chloe. She wants Drake, but he doesn't want her. So what does she do? She runs to someone who is safe, someone who does want her, even if she isn't sure. She is young and naïve, and she has no idea what she really wants through most of Torn. But isn't that what we do? We all want to be loved; no matter the price so we cling to those who love us. That's what she did.


Now to Drake. Again, I use the word oh. Oh, Drake. Why? Life is so hard sometimes, and trust me, I know this first hand. But why turn to drugs? How stupid could you possible be - you've beat them and then you go crawling back. Why would he do this? For comfort. Women are no longer and option and Chloe ripped his heart to pieces, so he has only one safety left. Again, we as humans take comfort in what is familiar to us. Drugs were what blocked the pain and made him numb for so long, and he wants that freedom again.

Drugs are a tough subject, and it was hard for me to write about his addiction. There were times, especially in the hotel room, when I had to put my laptop down and walk outside to calm down. The entire situation was so dark that it seeped into me, as well as several of you from emails and comments that I've received.

The moral of this boring post? When I write, I try to keep it as real as possible. Will you see unicorns dancing around in my stories? No. Will you see the darker side of humanity? Yes, because it is in every single one of us and it comes to the surface every once in awhile.

Will you always like the pain that it represents? No, and neither will I. But I feel that the things I cover are important and I do not want to sugarcoat any of it.



Anyway, I'll shut up now. I hope this helps those of you who were really torn and twisted (Pun intended) about how things played out.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not Torn (pun intentional)! Keep writing the way you do and I'll keep reading! They're your words and if someone has a problem tell them to "fuck off"! Like they could do better!!

    ReplyDelete